22977Re: [mythsoc] Re: Christopher Hitchens on G.K.C.

  • Zachary Bos
    Mar 14, 2012
      [Disclosure: I appreciate GKC as a writer, though I feel no urge to modify that opinion with superlatives.]

      Speaking of the world's need for re-enchantment, I noticed recently that the GKC is widely quoted by the organized religious right, e.g. "We are perishing for want of wonder, not for want of wonders", at http://www.nationalchristian.com/1266. The National Christian Foundation is a major sponsor of the Discovery Institute and Focus on the Family, among other causes.

      Musingly,

      Zachary

      PS: My copy of "As If: Modern Enchantment and the Literary Prehistory of Virtual Reality" just arrived by post.
      PPS, wanting to change the record: Has anyone else on the list read the first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicles?

      On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Travis Buchanan <travisbuck7@...> wrote:

      Wendell,

      I never said GKC wasn't flawed! He never said that either! I said he was a 'great writer' and his work nobly representative of re-enchantment which the world needs more of, not less. How is this still not clear to you?

      Travis
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic