22962Re: [mythsoc] Re: Christopher Hitchens on G.K.C.

    Feb 20, 2012
      I think that both of the below statements are going too far in treating Chesterton's writings as being perfect and unchallengeable.

      In a message dated 2/19/2012 7:33:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, travisbuck7@... writes:
      It is so easy to become disenchanted about the desacralized cosmos we find ourselves inhabiting today anyway--a huge and present danger--that I would think GKC a potent and much needed antidote to our modern malaise. I see him as a noble re-enchanter, perhaps one of the greatest ever, and so found it ironic that you would speak of being disenchanted by him.

      In a message dated 2/20/2012 6:32:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, travisbuck7@... writes:
      I realize that neither John R. nor Mike Foster nor you were saying GKC is not 'a great writer in many ways'; if any person did say this, I would say (based on the sheer output and variety that poured forth from GKC's learned mind and prodigious pen) that person is a fool and not worth listening to on any subject.

      Furthermore, based on the following statement, I think you ought to read the writings of more authors and not confine yourself to just ones you've already decided are perfect and unchallengeable.

      In a message dated 2/20/2012 6:32:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, travisbuck7@... writes:
      Furthermore, I am unconcerned with what Hitchens says about GKC, or at least am not surprised he didn't find him charming or convincing and I am not curious enough to read the article he wrote to discover any more about his opinion at present.