      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
      Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 1:33 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] "Joseph Bright" and Huddersfield hobbits

      John Rateliff wrote:

      > Query #2: Drout says the word "hobbit" occurs in medieval English, and
      > that Tolkien took it from a book on the dialect of the Huddersfield
      > district. This wd be Haigh's book, to wh. Tolkien wrote a foreword. I
      > don't have a copy of this book, but I never heard that /hobbit/ appears
      > in it.

      The dialect portrayed in Haigh's glossary does not have initial
      H-, so _hobbit_ in that form would be impossible. There is no
      entry _obbit_ either. (The only noun in OB- is "_[o-macron]bi_,
      _[o-macron]buk_", glossed as "a hawby, or hawbuck, a simpleton,
      country lout".)

      Chivalrous greetings,

      Beregond

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic