22930Re: [mythsoc] Re: Ballet of "The Princess and the Goblin"

  • John Rateliff
    Feb 14, 2012
      Following this link, and belatedly checking out the one you'd posted previously, i thought it a fascinating account of how they'd tried to adapt a work from one genre (Victorian children's fantasy) to another (modern ballet). The explanations for what they changed, and why, and what they took pains to keep, and why, were really interesting -- to me, at least (e.g., shifting the main character from a young girl to a young adult because a teen dancer cdn't execute all the difficult maneuvers required by the part). Although I have to admit I'd thought Twyla Tharp was a country singer, not a distinguished dancer and choreographer, and was thrown by the statement that it was set to music by Franz Schubert, which I misread as their saying Schubert had set MacDonald's piece to music (which chronologically didn't make sense). Finally realized they were just adapting music by Schubert as suitable for the era they wanted to evoke.

      Odd that the article writer in both cases didn't seem to recognize the motif of the main character's younger sibling(s) stolen away by the goblins as coming from "Goblin Market" -- I wd have thought that's a far more well known piece than the MacDonald.

      Did love the idea of doing a ballet in which all the villains have tender, stomp-able feet.

      Thanks for posting the links, wh. I'd otherwise never have come across

      --John R.

      On Feb 13, 2012, at 1:55 PM, davise@... wrote:
      > Since my earlier post created such a stir here, I figured I should post a link to the review in the NY Times:
      >
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/arts/dance/twyla-tharps-the-princess-and-the-goblin.html
      >
      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, davise@... wrote:
      >> Twyla Tharp's new full-length ballet based on George MacDonald's "The Princess and the Goblin" will have its premiere performance Feb. 10-19 by the Atlanta ballet.
      >>
      >> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/arts/dance/twyla-tharp-creates-the-princess-and-the-goblin-ballet.html

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic