2288Re: [mythsoc] Baynes' Narnia

  • David Lenander
    Sep 6, 2000
      We've actually discussed this topic somewhat here before (there might be
      backfiles) but let me comment on different Narnia editions. The single volume
      edition is the only one I've seen so far to feature colored editions of the 7
      Chronicles. It's surprisingly easy to use and compact, all things considered.
      Of course you lose the original design of the volumes, with the illustrations
      laid out with some sense, not that this edition is as stupidly laid out as the
      deluxe _Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe_, which included the original black and
      white illustrations supplemented with new full-color plates. I wouldn't be
      without this one, either, simply because I like the new Baynes illustrations.
      However, the larger-format book destroys the original format, plus the glossy
      paper stock resulted in the ink for the black and white illustrations (I think
      blown-up from original size, but I'm working from memory here, and I might be
      wrong about that) pooling on the page before drying and the details of Baynes'
      lines are often obscured. Baynes had done the new plates on spec, and I'm happy
      that the publisher published this edition, but it was done stupidly. And they
      told her (reportedly) that they didn't want to do the rest of the Chronicles in
      this format. My favorite editions are the Puffin paperbacks that Wayne
      mentioned, which my former roommate brought back to me from the U.K. in the
      mid-70s. These featured full-color covers by Baynes, along with a box. Even in
      reduced format-size I still love these. Unfortunately, the paper stock is
      yellowing and brittle, and I'm reluctant to let Claire read them except under
      strict observation. I recommend the one-volume edition with the colored
      illustrations as the best reading copy for children currently available here. I
      think that the color does appeal to the children reading them for the first
      time, even though in some ways I'm rather torn about the loss of the pristine
      black-and-white illustrations. Of course, they can also see the original black
      and white illustrations in adequately printed very inexpensive paperbacks from
      their school paperback clubs--in a flyer that Claire brought home yesterday from
      her first day of fifth grade the whole set in a box are available for about $3
      per volume (special price) from Arrow or Trumpet book club or whatever. These
      feature covers by Chris van Allsburg, which are quite fine, aside from being not
      by Baynes.

      ERATRIANO@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 09/05/2000 10:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:
      >
      > << The most interesting repackaging is the series in seven paperbacks whose
      > covers reproduce Pauline's cover art for the old Puffin Books edition, which
      > was never sold in the U.S. >>
      >
      > Oh dear, you mean there will be several choices available? I've never really
      > looked at what's been available here in the States, as illustrated books,
      > hardcovers usually, are so much more expensive than plain old secondhand
      > paperbacks. But now that I'm building libraries for children (my own and
      > those we exchange gifts with), I have the excuse to spend a little more.
      > [. . . .]
      > The seven-volume set, does that just have nice color illustrations but not so
      > much inside? I am concerned now that a mere website will not be able to show
      > me enough about the choices available.
      >
      > Lizzie

      David Lenander,

      e-mail: d-lena@... web-page: http://umn.edu/~d-lena/Hobbirth.html