22869Lewis and Tolkien in the writings of Roald Dahl

    Jan 20, 2012
      I'm currently reading Matilda by Roald Dahl, which was published in 1988.  Although some of Dahl's children's books are fantasies, they aren't much like anything the Inklings ever wrote.  I was therefore fascinated by the following passage.  The book is about Matilda, a five-year-old genius who has taught herself to read before entering school.  At one point she is quizzed by the teacher on her first day in school about what children's books she has read and liked.  She says:

      > I liked The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  I think
      Mr. C. S. Lewis is a very good writer. But he has
      > one failing.  There are no funny bits in his books . . .
      There aren't many funny bits in Mr. Tolkien either.

      Dahl is so much different than Lewis or Tolkien that I was surprised to find a mention of them in his books.

      Wendell Wagner