2282Re: [mythsoc] Baynes' Narnia

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Sep 6, 2000
      In a message dated 09/05/2000 10:13:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

      << The most interesting repackaging is the series in seven paperbacks whose
      covers reproduce Pauline's cover art for the old Puffin Books edition, which
      was never sold in the U.S. >>

      Oh dear, you mean there will be several choices available? I've never really
      looked at what's been available here in the States, as illustrated books,
      hardcovers usually, are so much more expensive than plain old secondhand
      paperbacks. But now that I'm building libraries for children (my own and
      those we exchange gifts with), I have the excuse to spend a little more.
      Plus, I'm rather charmed by such books in my own collection as Dinotopia, and
      The Illustrated Tarka the Otter. I've also seen a few books in the series
      marketed as "The Whole Story," where they take a nice story like Mowgli's
      Brothers or The Call of the Wild, and put encyclopedia-like information and
      pictures in the margins. Could be a bit distracting, I suspect, but reminded
      me cozily of my old Black Beauty, with its unfamiliar words explained in the

      I hope the site doesn't take too long to load. I have little patience for
      that sort of thing. I would imagine an illustrated copy of the Chronicles in
      one volume would be rather large and awkward to carry about and read from.
      The seven-volume set, does that just have nice color illustrations but not so
      much inside? I am concerned now that a mere website will not be able to show
      me enough about the choices available.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic