2280Re: [mythsoc] Baynes' Narnia

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Sep 6, 2000
      Wendell wrote:

      ><< I see in _Publishers Weekly_ that we're in for a flurry of Narnia
      > merchandising, because of the anniversary, including new stories set in
      > Narnia. >>
      >
      >Huh? By who?

      I don't know -- but let me give a better report, direct from the PW notice
      (issue of 14 August) rather than from memory. PW says that "the C.S. Lewis
      Company and United Media have begun licensing _The Chronicles of Narnia_
      for a range of products to debut in fourth quarter 2000, to coincide with
      the 50th anniversary of the series' second title [that's got to confuse
      some people!], _The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe_. Gifts,
      collectibles, software and stationery will be sold through department and
      specialty stores, with the book trade a primary target." United Media will
      work with HarperCollins for bookstore merchandising. HarperCollins will
      spend $250,000 to promote the anniversary; "efforts include a Chick-fil-A
      restaurant-chain tie-in involving three million books and a school program
      reaching 150,000 educators. In 2002, the house will launch an all-new
      series of original stories based on the world of Narnia, for ages four and
      up, at which time the licensing effort will expand into toys, plush, games
      and apparel."

      Wayne Hammond
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic