22765Re: [mythsoc] Quick take on Lord Dunsany?

  • Mem Morman
    Nov 8, 2011
      i think i would have to put in a word for Edith Nesbit.
      mem

      On 11/8/2011 3:56 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

      To back up this assertion, you might want to quote what Michael Dirda says in his new book On Conan Doyle.  Dirda is generally considered one of the best current book critics (and, incidentally, was a guest at Mythcon 25).  Dirda says, "What Conan Doyle is to the detective story, Dunsany is to the modern fantasy: the Master."

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 6/28/2011 10:43:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, extollager2006@... writes:

      Would anyone care to question this assertion, that Lord Dunsany was the greatest British writer of fantasy for adults during the period between the end of the Victorian era and the Thirties?

      I'm deliberately not defining "greatest," although for some that may make the statement almost meaningless.

      The assertion implies that Dunsany's eight or so collections of fantasies and The King of Elfland's Daughter etc. comprise a "greater" achievement than that of E. R. Eddison, William Hope Hodgson, Hope Mirrlees, David Lindsay, and others who published major works such as The Worm Ouroboros, The Night Land, Lud-in-the-Mist, and A Voyage to Arcturus in that period.

      I'm asking because in a short piece I have drafted for Beyond Bree I make this claim, but there's probably time for me to change it if need be.  Conversely, if the statement seems right to you, I'd be happy to know that too.

      Dale Nelson
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic