      Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:32 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: New article series: Interviews with the Scholars

      Thanks to both Michael and Janet for the fascinating interview!

      From the article
      MM: Do you think there was anything similar in Sayers and Tolkien's writing that might have put off Wilson's personal interests?

      JBC: No, I wasn't aware that Wilson didn't like Sayers either. But I can see that there's a certain moral clarity and decisiveness to both of them that a critic like Wilson might read as absolutist and anti-modern, maybe even dictatorial and elitist.

      As regards Wilson's dislikes, it's worth keeping in mind that the comments on Sayers were part of an article "Who cares who killed Roger Ackroyd" in which IIRC he dismissed all detective literature except Sherlock Holmes, and that he wrote another article in which he argued that Kafka was badly overrated. Wilson disliked lots of things.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic