      Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Movie-goers rate the book

      Bill West wrote:

      >In all fairness, it's a trend no matter the type
      of book, the kids (or their >parents) just wanted the shortest books on the list.

      C.S. Lewis had something to say about that, and I quote:

      A lady whom I knew discovered that the pretty little probationer who filled her hot-water bottle in the hospital had read _Screwtape_. She also discovered why.

      "You see," said the girl, "we were warned that at interviews, after the real, technical questions are over, matrons and people sometimes ask about your general interests. The best thing is to say you've read something. So they gave us a list of about ten books that usually go down pretty well and said we ought to read at least one of them."

      "And you chose _Screwtape_?"

      "Well, of course; it was the shortest."

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic