22590Re: [mythsoc] Re: Gollum at a Wedding

    Aug 12, 2011
      Yes, in fact, it's hard to even define what the term "meaning" means.  Do people know about the Gricean maxims of conversational implicature?:
      I know that this idea was frequently mentioned back when I was studying linguistics thirty-some years ago.  I don't know if they're still thought important or useful.  The idea is that there are implicit rules on how a conversation works that determine how one participant in a conversation should understand another participant.
      Wendell Wagner
      In a message dated 8/12/2011 4:48:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, john@... writes:
       From a bystander's perspective, this appears to be a misunderstanding regarding what is being referred to as 'meaning' something. Ernie is referring to what the speaker is actually saying - what the statement means; whilst David is referring to the speaker's state of mind as might be inferred from the statement and by taking the statement non-literally - what the speaker means.
      I am not sure either of you are disagreeing that a) 'I wish I this had not happened in my lifetime' differs as a statement of belief to 'I wish I had died before this happened', or that b) whilst they have different literal meanings, they probably reflect the same state of mind, so from a non-literal perspective can be taken as meaning the same thing.
      (And now I'll go back to lurking!)
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic