22536What Is/Is Not SF? (was: NPR top 100 Science Fiction and Fantasy titles poll)

  • Margaret Dean
    Aug 3, 2011
      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Darrell A. Martin <darrellm@...> wrote:

      > On 8/3/2011 2:39 PM, Margaret Dean wrote:
      > > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Darrell A. Martin<darrellm@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> "1984" is an alternate history, or historical fiction. Not SF&F. "Animal
      > >> Farm" is in the same categories as "1984", but as a beast fable
      > >> qualifies for the list, I suppose.
      > >
      > > When "1984" was written, it was (dystopian) SF. Nowadays, it might
      > > qualify as alternate history, but I don't think that should
      > > necessarily bump it out of the SF category.
      >
      > Margaret:
      >
      > Arguing about categories definitely comes under the heading "de gustibus
      > non est disputandum". But that won't stop me....

      *chuckle* It's also one of SF fandom's favorite games.

      > I just don't see how "1984" qualifies as SF. A near future setting is
      > not enough, or the genre begins to lose all useful meaning.

      Considering that Damon Knight defined SF as "what I'm pointing to when
      I say it..."

      Okay, I'll bite. What is *your* definition of SF? Or maybe I should
      ask, what do you consider to be its qualifying features?

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean56@...>
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic