22514Re: [mythsoc] Mythprint question

  • Alana Joli Abbott
    Jul 26, 2011
      Sorry, David. I was using "dedicated e-reader" in this context to mean "my device that only reads e-books," as compared to a tabled PC or an iPad. Kindles certainly can read most open-source files at this point, as well (though I believe they still don't read ePub files).

      I *think* that B&N actually sells books in the pdb format, rather than ePub, but I also can't figure out how to get B&N-purchased e-books to let me open them in a non nook-app program. (I actually can't figure out where the files are downloaded to after I purchase them from B&N, and this after about ten minutes of poking around and doing a google search to try to get a clue from someone else.) Someone tech-savvier than me probably can, of course!

      -Alana

      On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:

      "Alana Joli Abbott" <alanajoli@...> wrote:

      > Despite kindle books being readable on
      > most devices, they're not readable from my dedicated e-reader (a nook from
      > B&N),

      I'm a little bit puzzled by this. The Nook is not a "dedicated" e-reader
      but an open-format one, which can read epub, which is the standard
      interchangeable format for most e-readers that are not the Kindle, as well
      as pdfs and Word files. It was the original Kindle which was infamous for
      not reading anything but Kindle files, though I understand subsequent
      generations have expanded on this, and there are now Kindle apps for reading
      Kindle format on other devices. But you still have to get the app. You
      don't need a Nook-specific app to read Nook files elsewhere, because there
      is no Nook format, there's only epub.

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks