2250Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon Article

    Sep 1, 2000
      Interesting article, but there were a few mistakes. For instance:

      > The largest so far was in 1991 in Oxford, England, where a thousand myth
      > scholars toasted the centennial of J.R.R. Tolkien's birth.

      It was 1992, and there were only about 350 people there. The article made it
      sound as is most of the attendees are academics, but in fact only a few are.

      There were a number of good talks. David Bratman had what everyone agreed
      was the most surprising subject for a paper in his talk on the Inklings and
      the Pacific. He also gave a talk on the journeys in the Earthsea books.

      Diana Glyer gave a talk about her efforts to put Joy Davidman's novel
      _Weeping Bay_ back into print. She also talked about how the conflicts and
      discussions between the Inklings influenced their writings. This is part of
      a book that now being looked at by publishers. Diana has a theory that we
      should take the influences of the friends of writers more seriously. I
      referred to this in a question after the talk as the "Glyerian" method, but
      she says that she's working from the theories of someone who's studied the
      patterns of influences within writing groups of amateur writers. Diana may
      be the first person to apply this method to professional writers, though.

      Alexei Kondratiev talked about Padraic Colum's retellings of Hawaiian
      mythology. (Colum was famous for his collections of Irish folktales.)