22481Re: [mythsoc] Quick take on Lord Dunsany?

    Jun 28, 2011
      Dale, if anyone questions your assertion about Dunsany, you can quote the statement below by John Rateliff and say that he is one of the most important living Dunsany scholars.  I don't think there are many Dunsany scholars.  I just Googled on "Dunsany scholar" and found only two people mentioned - Darrell Schweitzer and S. T. Joshi - neither of whom did a Ph.D. dissertation on Dunsany.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 6/28/2011 1:35:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sacnoth@... writes:
      I think this statement is self-evidently true of Dunsany for the first two decades of the twentieth century, the period of his eight collections of fantasy short stories and most (not all) of his major plays. But he's not as strong a novelist, so his productions of the twenties and thereafter represent a falling off. Why not say "the greatest fantasy short story writer, bar none, and the most influential fantasy writer of the first half of the century"?
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic