22474Re: [mythsoc] Quick take on Lord Dunsany?

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Jun 28, 2011
      On 6/28/2011 9:48 AM, John Davis wrote:

      > Would you consider Charles Williams a fantasy author?
      > John

      John:

      I am not sure I would take seriously any definition of "fantasy" that
      did NOT include Charles Williams. It is possible, I know (one common
      definition includes the presence of dragons and/or unicorns, medieval
      technology, fake Old British diction, and a wilderness-over-urbanism
      jingoism) but as I said, "take seriously".

      I have never connected with the fantasy of the era in question, except
      possibly H. Rider Haggard and Edgar Rice Burroughs (each of whom is more
      reasonably than Williams excluded from "fantasy"). The defect is without
      question mine, and may yet prove amenable to repair.

      Darrell
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic