22470Quick take on Lord Dunsany?

  • dale nelson
    Jun 28 7:43 AM
      Would anyone care to question this assertion, that Lord Dunsany was the greatest British writer of fantasy for adults during the period between the end of the Victorian era and the Thirties?

      I'm deliberately not defining "greatest," although for some that may make the statement almost meaningless.

      The assertion implies that Dunsany's eight or so collections of fantasies and The King of Elfland's Daughter etc. comprise a "greater" achievement than that of E. R. Eddison, William Hope Hodgson, Hope Mirrlees, David Lindsay, and others who published major works such as The Worm Ouroboros, The Night Land, Lud-in-the-Mist, and A Voyage to Arcturus in that period.

      I'm asking because in a short piece I have drafted for Beyond Bree I make this claim, but there's probably time for me to change it if need be.  Conversely, if the statement seems right to you, I'd be happy to know that too.

      Dale Nelson
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic