22317Re: [mythsoc] Copyright Loremasters?

    May 5, 2011
      Is there going to be a book toss at this year's Mythcon?  You can bring along boxes of books that no one wants to review and toss them all at the wall.

      Wendell

      In a message dated 5/5/2011 10:11:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, visualweasel@... writes:

      Why anyone should want to do this in the first place -- i.e., create derivative works based on the creative efforts of others -- is something I don't quite grasp. I don't grok fanfic and never have. I suppose new, authorized novels set in the Star Trek and Star Wars universes are a bit more understandable -- and lord, there are a lot of them!* -- but personally, I don't have any interest in those either. Just me?
      Jase

      * Does anybody here read them? I have maybe a dozen Star Wars books for review by now! Nobody has ever asked for one, and they are about to become bantha poodoo if no one does.

      From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>
      To: "mythsoc@yahoogroups.com" <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thu, May 5, 2011 8:35:41 AM
      Subject: RE: [mythsoc] Copyright Loremasters?

      Carl’s right – the author retains the right to create derivative works as long as the original is under copyright. Which is why fan fiction is such a grey area, and probably the only way you could release a story about Giles Tumulty would be for free on a fanfic site (and even then you might be subject to a take-down notice). This is one of the reasons why the continued extension of copyright terms is so contentious; when the public domain (the stuff anyone can use for free – ancient myths, the works of Twain and Dickens, etc.) gets smaller and older, it stifles creativity centered around recent works. By the time the work enters the public domain, no one may be interested in using it as a basis for further creativity anymore.  (Google Kim Stanley Robinson’s short story “Melancholy Elephants” for an eloquent discussion of this problem.)

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries