22276Re: [mythsoc] Re: language change

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Apr 28, 2011
      On 4/28/2011 9:41 AM, Alana Abbott wrote:
      > This makes me wonder if I'm using "hence" incorrectly. We often use it
      > in place of "therefore" around here -- is that an alternate definition?
      > An anachronism? Or just plain wrong?
      > -Alana

      The pair, "here, there" had a matching pair, "hence, thence" which can
      be simply defined, "from here, from there".

      "Hence", in the sense of "from here", is often used metaphorically. That
      is to say, "having reached 'where we are', FROM HERE we may proceed".
      Hence, your usage is correct.

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic