22041$20,447 for a first edition of The Hobbit

    Apr 7, 2011
      The following comes from an E-mail I received from abe.com.

      Wendell Wagner

      The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
      J.R.R. Tolkien
      Sold for $20,447

      For a collector of modern first editions, there are few books put on a higher pedestal than The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.  Last month a collector purchased a first edition of this novel, via AbeBooks, for more than $20,000.  The Hobbit is considered the archetypal epic fantasy novel and is thoroughly entrenched in popular culture, but this was not always the case.  Published in 1937, the book was a slow burning success, receiving encouraging reviews and earning subsequent printings and a North American release after several months.

      The book really took off in the 1960s when publishers reissued a massive number of affordable copies in the United States.  Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf, Smaug the dragon and Gollum have become some of the most famous fictional characters in literature. Gollum's hissed catchphrase 'My Precious' is known around the world.

      1. The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien - $20,447
      First edition, first impression copy of Tolkien’s classic with a complete dust jacket with the requisite ink correction to the "e" of "Dodgeson" on rear flap.  Published in 1937, only 1,500 copies were printed. Desirable copies are scarce.