22031Re: Tolkien Studies: an ANNOUNCEMENT

  • not_thou
    Apr 2, 2011
      Thanks very much, David!

      As it happens, my whole fifth grade class learned to recite the U.S. presidents in order, because the music teacher, Mrs. Nary, had us memorize the "Presidential Boogie" (music and lyrics by Roger Lentz).

      Regarding forests and trees, typographical errors typically go unmentioned in the "Year's Work", but a few I encountered were amusing enough to share, so I'll note them here instead (without attribution):

      1. "Even the O have a complex history". (That "O" would be "Orcs".)

      2. Tom Shippey wrote a 1985 article called "Board and Anger". (It's actually called "Boar and Badger".)

      3. Tolkien drew an emblem for the "Flying Corpse" of Mordor. (The phrase he really used was "Flying Corps" -- but given that it refers to the Ringwraiths, the typo almost works.)

      -Merlin

      --- "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2008," which has been
      > occupying most of my time and concern for the last couple
      > of months, has been turned in to the publisher. Volume 8
      > of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, that
      > hardbound journal which has been running my Year's Work
      > pieces, will be out this summer....
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic