22021Tolkien Studies: an ANNOUNCEMENT

    Apr 1, 2011
      "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2008," which has been occupying most of
      my time and concern for the last couple of months, has been turned in to the
      publisher. Volume 8 of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, that
      hardbound journal which has been running my Year's Work pieces, will be out
      this summer.

      And so it seems time to make a public announcement on the subject.

      No, I'm not quitting the gig, or disappearing off to Rivendell.

      But because I've been doing this for seven years now, and because the 2008
      coverage was exceptionally large (that being the year that the
      nearly-hundred-paper Proceedings of the Tolkien Society's 2005 Birmingham
      conference was published), I have taken on a collaborator.

      My colleague is Merlin DeTardo, known I think mostly on Tolkien BBs online,
      but known to me for reviews and other pieces that suggested - accurately, as
      it turned out - that of the "younger" or "newer" (or whatever less
      condescending word you want to suggest) Tolkien scholars, he particularly
      combines the necessary breadth and depth of knowledge in Tolkien to evaluate
      intelligently the mass of scholarship. He also has the surprisingly rare
      ability to count the trees without losing track of the forest.

      Further, he is the only person I've ever met who can name all the Presidents
      of the United States faster than I can. This has irrationally endeared him
      to me.

      We split the subtopics of the Year's Work between us, half to each. The
      results of our labors - 223 works summarized and discussed, 24,000 words -
      will be out ... this summer.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic