21835Re: [mythsoc] A version of Errantry

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Feb 3, 2011
      “Erranty” (2008) is a 27 foot scroll depicting a parade of whimsical war machines set to an abbreviated version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s poem of the same name (written between the 1930s and 1960s). A list of “Wars and Genocides of the 20th century,” with death tolls highlighted in red, runs below the troop of machines. As if all this is not enough to show how technology has perpetuated the tragedy of bloody conflict, Pfeiffer packages the work in inert shell gas cases that have done their “deadly deed.” … It’s hard to imagine that the story “of journeying and plundering/ of pillorying and sundering” would end anytime soon.

      It's not an "abbreviated version" of the poem, but an original poem which "samples" Tolkien's. We have a copy of the impressive scroll/shell/box Errantry in the library where I work ( http://blogs.williams.edu/vintagepoints/2010/03/09/chapin-archives-podcast/ ).

      Wayne
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic