21834A version of Errantry

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Feb 3, 2011

      Books That Bite
      Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun
      From a review of an exhibit by artist Werner Pfeiffer:

      “Erranty” (2008) is a 27 foot scroll depicting a parade of whimsical war machines set to an abbreviated version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s poem of the same name (written between the 1930s and 1960s). A list of “Wars and Genocides of the 20th century,” with death tolls highlighted in red, runs below the troop of machines. As if all this is not enough to show how technology has perpetuated the tragedy of bloody conflict, Pfeiffer packages the work in inert shell gas cases that have done their “deadly deed.” … It’s hard to imagine that the story “of journeying and plundering/ of pillorying and sundering” would end anytime soon.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries