21800Re: [mythsoc] Re: A new novel about Tolkien

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Jan 13, 2011
      On 1/13/2011 7:29 PM, davise@... wrote:

      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell A. Martin"<darrellm@...>
      > wrote:
      >> De gustibus non est disputandum.
      >
      > On the contrary, one of the reasons I subscribe to a literary chat
      > group is disputare about gustibus.

      Ernie:

      OK, then you are wrong [big grin].

      >> I think Ivanhoe is a good read, but it bothers me. My junior high
      >> English teacher did not mention that the book was not history. I
      >> thought Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe was a real person for years. That is
      >> not Scott's fault, but I still resented finding out much later that
      >> my views on 12th Century England were based on literary invention.
      >
      > But that would apply to any kind of historical fiction whether or not
      > it contains historical persons.

      Yes, and I don't like historical fiction
      in general, even about periods in which
      I have a strong interest. But when "real
      people" show up, it makes it worse -- at
      least I think so.

      > After all, your misconceptions about
      > 12th c. England would have been much the same even if the Black
      > Knight had not turned out to be King Richard and even if you had
      > realized that Sir Wilfred was a fictional character.

      Perhaps. But the Black Knight *is*
      King Richard, and Prince John *is*
      Prince John, and I noticed that. The
      misconceptions may very well have
      occurred anyway, I agree. But maybe
      not.

      Ivanhoe is probably not the best book
      to use as an example. It is one that
      you tossed in my direction, and it
      struck a chord in me (dissonant).

      > I'll agree that it is very annoying if a real person or event whom
      > you care about is portrayed inaccurately in a work of fiction. (And
      > not just real people, as we have certainly discussed on this list!)
      > But, for myself, though that happens occasionally, it doesn't happen
      > very often. It is much more common that I have encountered historical
      > periods, or events, or people, for the first time through historical
      > fiction (or at least for the first time in any depth); and overall
      > the knowledge I have gained is much greater than the misconceptions
      > acquired.
      >
      > -- Ernie

      I know my Mom agrees with you. She
      likes stuff about Colonial New