21789Re: A new novel about Tolkien

  • davise@cs.nyu.edu
    Jan 13, 2011
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell A. Martin" <darrellm@...> wrote:

      > I am predisposed to an intense dislike for fiction about real persons.
      > That applies to Vercingetorix, George Washington, Richard the
      > Lionhearted, John F. Kennedy, and J.R.R. Tolkien. Among others.

      I'm not sure I agree. "Ivanhoe" is fun. Thornton Wilder's "The Ides of March" is very worth reading. Hilary Mantel's "Wolf Hall" about Thomas Cromwell, got rave reviews; I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list. Detective novels often do it well; for instance the Steven Saylor series about Gordianus, set in the Rome of Caesar, Cicero etc. In children's literature, Robert Lawson's "Ben and Me" (about Ben Franklin) and "Mr. Revere and I" are great. Of course, there is a lot of lousy fiction of this kind; but there is a lot of lousy fiction of any kind.

      Certainly a large fraction of the great plays, from Shakespeare on down, deal with real historical people.

      -- Ernie
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic