21784Re: [mythsoc] A new novel about Tolkien

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Jan 12, 2011
      On 1/12/2011 2:17 PM, Jason Fisher wrote:

      > I just saw this and have requested a review copy of /Mirkwood: A Novel
      > About J.R.R. Tolkien/, by Steve Hillard. This really is becoming quite
      > the trend lately.
      > http://www.mmdnewswire.com/mirkwood-novel-about-jrr-tolkien-by-steve-hillard-16861.html
      > Comments?
      > Jason

      Jason:

      I am predisposed to an intense dislike for fiction about real persons.
      That applies to Vercingetorix, George Washington, Richard the
      Lionhearted, John F. Kennedy, and J.R.R. Tolkien. Among others.

      The problem is, the better the artistic effort by the author, the
      greater the risk of blurring the distinction between reality and
      unreality. It is one thing to suspend disbelief; it is another to
      suspend belief, by its thumbs.

      Darrell
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic