21647Re: [mythsoc] Re: Are Hobbits white?

  • Linda DeMars
    Dec 8, 2010
      Two thoughts: a few years ago, when I was doing an on-line course (Tolkien-related) from Cardiff and researching my essay,  I ran across two papers whose premise which I felt compelled to  question.

      One was on Harry Potter and questioned the lack of diversity in the books- the author had the impressions that all the characters were white.  I wrote her and pointed several black characters who were romantically involved ( if briefly) with some of the main characters.  There was also an Asian, probably Chinese, who was Harry Potter's girlfriend for a bit.  I pointed out that these young people were naturally assumed to be included in the student body- and that their backgrounds would have been part of the British Empire.

      Another article was concerning the elves being characterized as "fair"- which made the writers looking at things from a racial angle. I pointed out that often a Brit might use the word  "fair" as a synonym for beautiful, remembering a friend's husband who said about my first born son . "Ah, he's very fair, isn't he?"- to which I replied, "Well., he's not as fair as Elizabeth but maybe fairer than Laura."  (He was of course trying to compliment me on my beautiful baby, while I was thinking of complexions)

      Linda

      I'm not sure if the "Brown " hobbits would be as brown as Pakistanis but they could be darker.. In my own children there are two who are very fair (pale with dark hair) ,  two who  are more rosy ( blondish and brown hair) and the youngest who, like his mother, tend to be browner or more sallow (but we burn).  My husband is more probably like the fair ones.

      On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

      "To break it down further and say, "within the humans, the good ones are 'light' and the bad ones are 'dark' and that is a political statement" is imho simplistic."

      Lynn, thanks for this. To clarify my own response, I wasn't referring directly to LOTR. There are certainly books in which that sort of categorizing occurs -- which is, in itself, an overly simplistic way to build a world, in my thinking -- and I agree that LOTR isn't one of them.

      -Alana

      On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      Darrell, I think it's a bit unfair to say, "What do you think when, in an author's original, the "ethnicities that are represented" *are* all villains?" IF you're speaking of LOTR, the issue of PEOPLES really ought to be seen as dominant over the issue of the color of men.

      So there are Elves, primarily 'good' in LOTR; there are dwarves, primarily 'good' in LOTR; there are hobbits, primarily ignorant in LOTR; there are wizards, a VERY mixed lot; there are orcs, creatures debased and bred to be evil; there are men, another VERY mixed lot. There are tensions between all these different peoples. To break it down further and say, "within the humans, the good ones are 'light' and the bad ones are 'dark' and that is a political statement" is imho simplistic.

      It's rather like looking back at the aggressive violent spread of Islam up into Europe in the first millennium and characterizing it as a race war. In fact, arguably it wasn't even a religious war (like Northern Ireland: while being cast as Catholic versus Protestant, it wasn't a religious battle but a political one; the religious labels were simply the identifiers used) but rather one of imperialism and encroachment by people who happened to be Muslims against people who happened to be Christian. Yes, the impetus for Islam is the charge to convert the world, by force if need be, but it's the "by force" part that bothered the Austrians and Italians and Spaniards and French, *not* the religion per se.

      -- Lynn --

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic