21583Re: [mythsoc] Gaius and Titius and Orbilius

    Nov 7, 2010
      Thanks, David.  I've got that book but haven't read it yet.  When I looked in it (after using Google to find out which pages The Control of Language is mentioned on), I see that there is a three-page discussion of it.  It's longer than a brief mention, but it's not really a thorough examination of the book.  It's mostly following Lewis's argument in The Abolition of Man without looking any deeper.  Jacobs makes one interesting observation though, which is that Lewis's own copy of The Control of Language is in the Wade Center at Wheaton College and it has annotations by Lewis.  Jacobs doesn't mention The Reading and Writing of English at all.

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 11/7/2010 9:09:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, d-lena@... writes:

      That's interesting, Wendell.  I'd say that the discussion goes beyond a "brief mention" in _The Narnian: The Life & Imagination of C.S. Lewis_ by Alan Jacobs, though you've probably read that.  But, just in case you haven't, you'd definitely want to look at it before writing a paper.

      On Nov 7, 2010, at 5:50 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Having now read Gaius and Titius and Orbilius

      Posted by: "WendellWag@..." WendellWag@...  wendell_wagner

      Sat Nov 6, 2010 11:43 am (PDT)

      As I mentioned two months ago, I decided to read The Control of Language:
      A Critical Approach to Reading and Wr iting by Alec King and Martin Ketley
      and The Reading and Writing of English by E. G. Biaggini. The first book is
      the one referred to in C. S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man as The Green
      Book by Gaius and Titius and the second book, not given a name in The
      Abolition of Man, is the one supposedly written by Orbilius. Has anyone ever done
      a paper at Mythcon or published an article in any Mythopoeic publication
      about them? It's hard for me to tell just from Googling, but it appears to
      me that they are briefly mentioned in a couple of books about Lewis. Has
      anyone read any lengthy analysis of these books in relation to Lewis? These
      books, especially The Control of Language, are long out of print and rather
      hard to find these days, although you might be able to get them on used
      books websites.[. . .]

      David Lenander
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113