21581Gaius and Titius and Orbilius

  • David Lenander
    Nov 7, 2010
      That's interesting, Wendell.  I'd say that the discussion goes beyond a "brief mention" in _The Narnian: The Life & Imagination of C.S. Lewis_ by Alan Jacobs, though you've probably read that.  But, just in case you haven't, you'd definitely want to look at it before writing a paper.

      On Nov 7, 2010, at 5:50 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Having now read Gaius and Titius and Orbilius

      Posted by: "WendellWag@..." WendellWag@...  wendell_wagner

      Sat Nov 6, 2010 11:43 am (PDT)

      As I mentioned two months ago, I decided to read The Control of Language:
      A Critical Approach to Reading and Writing by Alec King and Martin Ketley
      and The Reading and Writing of English by E. G. Biaggini. The first book is
      the one referred to in C. S. Lewis's The Abolition of Man as The Green
      Book by Gaius and Titius and the second book, not given a name in The
      Abolition of Man, is the one supposedly written by Orbilius. Has anyone ever done
      a paper at Mythcon or published an article in any Mythopoeic publication
      about them? It's hard for me to tell just from Googling, but it appears to
      me that they are briefly mentioned in a couple of books about Lewis. Has
      anyone read any lengthy analysis of these books in relation to Lewis? These
      books, especially The Control of Language, are long out of print and rather
      hard to find these days, although you might be able to get them on used
      books websites.[. . .]

      David Lenander
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113