21522Re: [mythsoc] Re: religion in Tolkien

  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
    Oct 16, 2010
      There's so much wrong with Carter's real understanding of world-building,
      that it deserves separate discussion. Heh. Maybe even a Mythcon paper.

      Still, as much as I now, with the benefit of my education, can take apart
      Carter's observations on Tolkien and fantasy world-building, I still have
      to admit that but for him, I would not have encountered a whole flock of
      fantasy novels. And seriously, I think his oversight of Ballantine's
      fantasy line helped establish the sub-genre as viable in the marketplace.

      But yes, he missed a lot in Tolkien - and was rather limited in his views
      of what "religion" would look like.