21513Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien-related sword in Oxford pub?

  • John Rateliff
    Oct 14, 2010
      Hi Anders
      Yes, I've read it, and liked it more than David did.
      I give the author points for focusing attention on Williams, who's rather neglected in stories in which the Inklings feature as characters. But I was disappointed that the author didn't know much of anything about Tolkien, and so has him behave throughout as he imagines a traditionalist Catholic of the time wd have. Too bad. I'd say HEAVEN'S WAR is an interesting idea that didn't quite come off.

      On Oct 12, 2010, at 2:02 PM, Beregond, Anders Stenström wrote:

      > John Rateliff wrote:
      >> Williams had been in Watie's Order and had been
      >> Waite's choice to succeed him as its leader, but instead left to found
      >> his own Order (of the Coinherence). There's an interesting, if brief,
      >> discussion of this in G. A. Gil bert's biography of A.E.Waite.
      >>
      >> Crowley, in the words of Monty P., would have been Right Out.
      >
      > Speaking of this, has anybody else here read _Heaven's War_, a comic
      > book with text by Micah Harris and art by Michael Gaydos, in which
      > Charles Williams, helped by Lewis and Tolkien, stops the evil plans of
      > Crowley? I found it a lot better than what that description sounds!
      >
      > Chivalrously,
      >
      > Beregond
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic