21491Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien-related sword in Oxford pub?

  • John Rateliff
    Oct 4, 2010
      On Oct 3, 2010, at 8:25 PM, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:
      > It's part of the U.K. Series Three DVD set, and part of the U.S. Series Two DVD set, both issued in 2009. The U.S. versions of the episodes are said to be cut by about ten minutes each.

      Ah! Thanks for clarifying that.

      On Oct 4, 2010, at 7:52 AM, icelofangeln wrote:
      > Although I have no doubt that the Inspector Morse explanation is the correct one, it is the case that Lewis kept what was described as a "cavalry sabre" in his umbrella-stand at Magdalen (I suspect the "sabre" was in actuality Warnie's Army dress sword).

      That sounds like a good guess. I don't take the story of Lewis dueling with a student too seriously, but if there was a sword in Lewis's room to have inspired the legend that's a plausible explanation for why.

      --JDR
      current reading: JRRT's SANCTIFYING MYTH, by Birzer [2002]
      current audiobook: THE BOOK OF EZEKIEL
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic