21256Re: [mythsoc] Passing of a Mythie....

  • Ellen
    May 28, 2010
      Very sad news.  I did not know him well, but considered him a friend and very much enjoyed getting to know him at Mythcons.  I recall his beautiful voice singing in a Bardic Circle, and being impressed with how many languages he could sing in.  I always respected what he had to say about books on the MFA award committee, and enjoyed interacting with him via Facebook.  I regret I didn't know him better, as he seemed to be a true Renaissance Man, gifted in so many different ways.  He will be missed and I will definitely raise a glass and a song in his memory.

      Ellen Denham

      herenistarion wrote:

      As we know everyone here at MythSoc was his friend and colleague, we want to let you know that we just found out Alexei Kondratiev passed away last night.

      In Alexei, Jessie and I share a mutual friend, Carole L. Gonzalez, who was his close friend. Carole wrote to us via facebook this morning and told us the news. They suspect a heart attack, but we are not sure at the moment.

      We just saw Alexei last on Thursday May 20th at our book release party. He came early and stayed through til the end, bought a book which we inscribed for him. We spoke of Mythcon 39, where he was papers coordinator as you know, and how the book came to be shortly thereafter--we had a wonderful time chatting with him (as always) & he stayed throughout the live podcast recording. When the hosts of the show asked us how the book came about, we spoke of Mythcon and acknowledged Alexei's role within it, and when they asked us more of MythSoc we addressed Alexei for some insight. That recording is still being edited together, and when it posts we will dedicate it to him.

      We're all saddened by this loss, made even more accute, since he had talked about attending Mythcon this summer, speaking highly of Jason's work coordinating & spoke about how he looked forward to seeing everyone this year. Since we won't be able to join you this year, raise a glass for Alexei. He will be missed.

      In Fellowship
      Anthony & Jessie

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic