21231Nightmare Alley/Bill Gresham

  • John Rateliff
    May 18, 2010
      I wdn't be surprised if Lewis (a voracious reader always on the look-out for new books) read it, if only out of curiosity re. the book his American friend's husband had written, but I know of any proof one way or the other.

      David points out the recent publication of some surviving letters to Gresham: if you want to get a good idea of his back-and-forth correspondence with Joy, there's a complete listing online at the Wade website: cf. http://www.wheaton.edu/wadecenter/collection/Finding_Aids/L-Gresham_Correspondence.pdf
      Interesting to see if includes not only CSL's four letters to Gresham but two of Gresham's to Lewis. More importantly, it shows that despite their supposed estrangement he wrote to both his sons about once a month or so right up to the time of his own death. A failure as a husband and a father, but there's good evidence he certainly tried.

      On May 17, 2010, at 12:51 PM, David Bratman wrote:
      > "Margaret L. Carter" <mlcvamp@...> wrote:
      >> The article identified Joy as his second wife, which I think was an error; he wasn't married before her, was he?
      >
      > No, it isn't an error. He was married before, and from the info we have, he left his first wife (whose name I don't have) for Joy with some alacrity in 1942.
      >
      > This is, interestingly, a critical fact in considering the status of Jack and Joy's marriage. The Church's argument was that it could not marry them because Joy was a divorced woman. But if that makes their marriage impossible, then Bill had been a divorced man and therefore his and Joy's marriage was impossible, which left Joy free to marry Jack. So, at any rate, Lewis argued; but my understanding is that the Church wasn't buying it.

      Yes: Bishop Carpenter (Humphrey's father) refused permission for Lewis to have a church wedding, which is why Lewis went outside Oxford and got a priest from a different diocese to come in and do it under the polite fiction that that priest's own bishop hadn't instructed him not to. I understand there were consequence for the priest afterwards for doing an end-run around church authority, but that wdn't affect the validity or otherwise of the ceremony.

      --John R.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic