21223C. S. Lewis and Nightmare Alley

    May 16, 2010
      In this review, Michael Dirda wonders if C. S. Lewis ever read Nightmare Alley.

      I know of two connections between William Lindsay Gresham and the Inklings.  Besides being Joy Davidman's first husband, Gresham wrote the preface to the first American edition of Charles Williams' The Greater Trumps.  I don't know that Lewis read any of Gresham, and I can't see how it would have influenced his books.  Does anybody know anything further?  I will E-mail Dirda with anything we can come up with, since I know him somewhat.  (And some of you might have met him, since he was a guest at the 1995 Mythcon in Washington.)