21185Re: [mythsoc] LotR films-related blog/book

  • dale nelson
    Apr 26, 2010
      This is reminding me of Scream for Jeeves, the Wodehouse-Meets-Lovecraft book of some years back.

      From: John Rateliff <sacnoth@...>
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, April 26, 2010 1:01:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] LotR films-related blog/book

      Hi Mike
         It's called WOOSTER PROPOSES, JEEVES DISPOSES, or, Le Mot Juste [1992].
         Thanks for the amazon link, Janet. I just checked and found it's also available on bookfinder.com and abebooks.com (the latter starting at about $35, which probably isn't much more than it cost new).
         I do recommend it for admirers of Wodehouse's writings -- for example, I hadn't realized before reading its chapter on the short stories that Wodehouse had two separate sets of friends for Bertie, one appearing in the novels (like Gussie Fink-Nottle) and one for the short stories (like Bingo Little), with the two rarely if ever mixing. The chapter on the plays was also helpful, since I never have been able to find the Bertie-without- Jeeves play she discusses (though I have found the Jeeves-without- Bertie book). Maybe the best part was a brief discussion of what does Jeeves get out of all this, concluding that quite apart from anything else staying with Bertie significantly improves Jeeves' standard of living.
         Anyway, a quick check of WorldCat shows there are quite a few copies out there in public (e.g., Milwaukee) and university (e.g., Univ. of Wisc, Madison) libraries, so inter-library loan shd be an easy way for you to check it out, if you're interested.
         By the way, have you heard the sad news that the Tolkien BOOK OF JONAH book is apparently kaput?
      --JDR

      On Apr 25, 2010, at 2:43 PM, Mike Foster wrote:
      As you may know, I am a great Jeeves fan.  What is the title of Ms. Thompson's Wodehouse book?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic