21121Re: "Smeagol also means 'It's me that's Gagool', on the principle of elision."

  • Jason Fisher
    Mar 2, 2010
      > What do you guys think of "The Keys of Middle Earth" by Stuart Lee? (Subtitle
      > is "Discovering Medieval Literature through the Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien")

      By Stuart Lee *and Elizabeth Solopova*. :)

      It's a very good collection. I especially like it because the authors print each selection in the original language with translation on the facing page, unlike previous collections of this type (e.g., The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, by Turgon). Lee and Solopova also contribute notes and commentary, which are both valuable and concise. Perhaps most significantly, they quote from previously unpublished academic lectures and essays by Tolkien. It's well worth reading.

      Jason
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic