20972Re: [mythsoc] Peter Jackson knighted

    Dec 31, 2009
      John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      >Interesting that these days they seem to be giving it to folks much
      >earlier in their careers --cf. Hitchcock, Chaplin, and Wodehouse, who
      >were all at death's door before getting theirs. Though I suppose
      >Stanley Unwin was a rather youngish sixty-two when he became Sir
      >Stanley.

      "Theatrical knights" of any kind were rather rare before the mid-20th century, though not entirely unknown. Customs on who get these kinds of awards and when have definitely been changing. (There was a huge fuss when the Beatles were given mere M.B.E.s in 1965; nowadays they might have been given knighthoods almost that early.)

      Giving knighthoods to somewhat more conventionally "serious" cultural figures, including publishers like Sir Stanley, came along a bit earlier, hence, perhaps, his somewhat younger age than the theatrical knights of his generation.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic