20868Re: [mythsoc] An Old Debate

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Oct 5, 2009
      On Oct 5, 2009, at 8:09 AM, John Davis wrote:

      > Then it occurred to me that what was being argued about was in fact
      > something more general, namely whether a book is something written
      > by an author and simply received by the reader in a one-way process,
      > or whether it is also the interaction between the book/author and
      > the reader, who thus combine to create something which might be
      > different to what the author had anticipated.

      This is also not an accurate description of the debate, as no one was
      claiming the former -- nor, for that matter, the latter, though the
      latter is obviously true. The real issue as regards this matter of
      reader interaction -- at least, the issue that is of common interest
      in a group discussion -- is whether what the reader sees in / derives
      from a work has anything other than personal, subjective validity. And
      that of course must be argued by that reader, in order to persuade
      participants in the discussion of its broader validity. Simply
      declaring that "my view of this work is valid for me" is neither an
      argument, nor of much interest to those who are not that reader.

      Carl
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic