      Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:47 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series

      Oh, my! When we moved to Texas, I couldn't find a book store that would
      consistantly carry the titles, so I wrote Ballantine for their catelogue,
      and would order directly from the publisher! It always felt so cool to be
      doing that! (I don't know that I bought everything, but I do know I have
      a lot of the titles.)

      Sarah

      > Just thought I'd try and start a new thread and see where it goes. As an
      > old-timer and reader of adult fantasy, I must say that Lin Carter
      > certainly kept me going through high school and university (and again in
      > later life)with the fabulous and fun books with the unicorn on them that
      > he edited. I first came across Ballantine fantasy paperbacks, as some of
      > you may have, through their publication of The Hobbit, the Tolkien
      > Trilogy, the ER Eddison series, and the Gormenghast books. Always
      > thirsting for more, I stumbled across Morris' Well of the World's End when
      > I was 17 and never looked back. I have since collected nearly the whole
      > series, and read many but not all of the volumes. I am back in the saddle
      > and hoping to complete my collection (both the unicorn series and the
      > pre-series)and read and reread them all. I recently reread The Dream
      > Quest of Unknown Kadath, and was completely blown away by the last short
      > story by Lovecraft in that volume(who is in a very Dunsanyian
      > mood)entitled "The Strange High House in the Mist". Truly mythical
      > stuff!! It's fun going into used book shops and finding owners who know
      > about the series and enjoy talking about it. Maybe a few of you out there
      > would like to share your memories of discovering it. If you haven't yet
      > discovered it, then you really don't know what you are missing!

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic