2056Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter, an 11 year old view

  • Ted Sherman
    Aug 2, 2000
      Well, that might be, but I must quibble: writing isn't in the genes. It's in the work. It
      does help if one was raised in an environment that cherished reading (and writing).

      As to the content--it seems to me that the readers begin with a preconception and then
      their reading validated and supported that preconception. In other words, they found what
      they were looking for: moral relativism (ambiguous portrayals of good and evil) and all
      that. Unfortunately, the readers did not allow the author the courtesy to tell her story
      the way she wanted to without trying to force their beliefs on the world the author
      constructed. In other words, they never allowed the author the opportunity to work her
      enchantment (the elvish craft) and produce secondary belief.

      Ted

      Juliet Blosser wrote:

      > On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 02:20:35PM -0500, Ted Sherman wrote:
      > > And we're supposed to believe the writing below is that of an American 11-year old.
      > > I have 21-year olds who don't write half as well in my college (and graduate!)
      > > courses!
      > >
      > > Ted
      > >
      > Given that the boy's mother is a writer, I think we can assume that he
      > both got some writing talent in the genes, and has been taught well at
      > home. Those two things can make all the difference in the world.

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams and Mythopoeic
      Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132