20555Re: [mythsoc] Re: Catholicism and Lord of the Rings

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Jun 9, 2009
      On Jun 9, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Vincent Ferré wrote:

      > yes, but do we have to believe writers's statements about their own
      > work ?

      No; but I think we should unless we have a compelling reason not to do
      so. Do you have such a reason?

      Personally, I can see plenty of support for Tolkien's statement: the
      figure of Elbereth ("Star-queen"), the "dormition" of Aragorn and
      Arwen, the Eagle's _Laetare_, the date of the Downfall, etc., etc., etc.

      Carl

      > "The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and
      > Catholic work," wrote Tolkien, "unconsciously so at first, but
      > consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have
      > cut out, practically all references to anything like "religion", to
      > cults or practices, in the Imaginary world. For the religious
      > element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism."

    • Show all 51 messages in this topic