20529Re: [mythsoc] Another Tolkien letter at Christie's

    May 28, 2009
      Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

      >A friend pointed out to me that there is another
      >Tolkien letter being auctioned by Christie's.
      >This one was written to a Professor Przemyslaw
      Mroczkowski in January 1964. I'm curious as to
      >whether anyone knows anything about Prof. Mrockzkowski.

      Polish professor of English. Wrote books called "Chaucer to Chesterton: English classics from Polish perspective" and "The medievalism of G.K. Chesterton: a critical enquiry." And that's just what's actually in English. There is an essay about Tolkien and Lewis in his 1975 book (in Polish), "Dzentelmeni i poeci: Eseje z literatury angielskiej" (trans: "Gentlemen and Poets: Essays on English Literature") (see http://www.forodrim.org/bibliography/tolklist.html)

      In Grotta's biography (1978 ed., p. 78) he is described as "a Polish scholar who became friends with Tolkien shortly after World War II, and is at present a professor of English philology at the Jagiellonian University in Cracow." Grotta quotes from several letters of Tolkien's to him, and his thoughts on Tolkien and his works.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic