      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Edith Crowe
      Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:34 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien, women, gender and brain-picking

      Yeah, Janet! What a librarian--I ask for a few examples and I get a whole
      bibliography. This makes me feel better because it confirms much of what I
      already have (in many cases telling me that my vague memory of some of these
      is fairly accurate) and adds some intriguing new items. An link between two
      articles:

      Green, William H. ""Where's Mama?" the Construction of the Feminine in the
      Hobbit." Lion and the Unicorn 22.2 (1998): 188-95.
      An interesting mixed bag, making much of the lack of female characters. From
      his conclusion:
      "In *The Hobbit*, a revisionist version of the Victorian ideology, some
      feminine virtues--such as passivity and fear of adventure--are weaknesses to
      be overcome, but their masculine opposites, the restlessness and
      testosterone-driven ambition of the macho here, are vices. "

      He has a whole section with an argument similar to Melanie Rawls' below,
      although he seems unaware of it--he cites no journal articles at all, only
      13 books (including the infamous Catherine Stimpson's). Melanie's is one of
      the seminal (you'll excuse the expression) articles on Tolkien & gender,
      IMHO.

      > Rawls, Melanie. "The Feminine Principle in Tolkien." Mythlore 10.4 (#38)
      > (1984): 5-13.
      > Explores the interaction of Masculine and Feminine principles (gender as
      > opposed to sex) in Tolkien's Middle-earth, showing how the balance of the
      > principles within a character is an important factor in his or her place in
      > the struggle of good and evil, evil resulting in many cases from an
      > imbalance of these principles.

      BTW, I think my own "Power in Arda: Sources, Uses and Misuses" in the
      Centenary Conference *Proceedings* isn't bad either.

      How about some opinions from thoses possessing a Y chromosome?