20491Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien, women, gender and brain-picking

  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
    May 7, 2009
      Interesting topic, Edith!

      Most certainly, I'd say that the worst misunderstanding of Tolkien's
      attitude toward women is the assumption that he condescends - especially
      when the interpretation is based solely on reading LOTR. Unless the
      reader pays close attention, he can easily miss the indications that
      Tolkien's women are generally strong and not "typical passive heroines"
      (that is, are they paying attention to Galadriel's history, the tale of
      Luthien, etc.).

      I think the contraints of the type of story he was telling in LOTR, and
      the character selection ended up making the novel atypical of JRRT's work
      in general, especially as it relates to female characters. Too many few
      Arwen as the *standard* of Tolkien heroines, where she is actually pretty
      much the exception (even Finduilas, who is rather passive, is a bit more
      active than Arwen).

      Huh. That would be a different tack to take: Eowyn is the standard of a
      Tolkien heroine, not the exception (Luthien, Ildis, Elwing, Galadriel --
      all "take action" types).