      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Merlin DeTardo
      Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:17 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Digital Tolkien. And hazel?

      >--- "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:
      >I've just read that yesterday Harper Collins made...

      Ugh -- "Digitial"? Sorry.

      And so as not to waste a message just noting my own mistake, I have a question on a different subject: what significance would hazels have had for Tolkien? In LOTR, they appear, so far as I know, only in conjunction with elves:

      1. "Three Is Company", as the hobbits follow Gildor to their hall:

      "The woods on either side became denser; the trees were now younger and thicker; and as the lane went lower, running down into a fold of the hills, there were many deep brakes of hazel on the rising slopes at either hand."

      2. "Flight to the Ford", as Glorfindel is heard approaching:

      "As quickly as they could they scrambled off the beaten way and up into the deep heather and bilberry brushwood on the slopes above, until they came to a small patch of thick-growing hazels."

      3. "The Grey Havens", just before Frodo and Sam meet Elrond:

      "It was evening, and the stars were glimmering in the eastern sky as they passed the ruined oak and turned and went on down the hill between the hazel-thickets."

      -MTD