      From: John D Rateliff
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Edison

      Quick version: Tolkien didn't discover ERE's work until the early
      '40s (1942 I think). He admired THE WORM greatly, aside from the
      nomenclature, which he found rather silly (Lord Spitfire was, in
      retrospect, particularly unfortunate). He didn't think much of
      Eddison's philosophy, though, and since that dominates his later
      works he liked them less. Eddison did influence THE LORD OF THE
      RINGS, but only in a few scenes later in the work (Pippin & the
      palantir, Saruman's treacherous attack on Frodo). Both men drew on
      the sagas, but ERE added to that a strong influx from Eliz/Jacobean
      revenge tragedy, which was entirely unTolkienesque, while JRRT's
      concern for the common man is entirely unEddisonian.
      Does that help? For more, I'd recommend Paul Thomas's excellent
      editions, with their outstanding introductions and extensive endnotes.
      --John R.
      Recent Activity
      a.. 1New Members
      Visit Your Group