20408Re: Journey to the Sea #9 -- Mythical Thinking

  • hoytrand
    Mar 5, 2009
      Alana,

      I'll echo my response here, too ... especially since this list is probably a better source for information about Barfield. I really do need to check out *Saving the Appearances*. Does Barfield want us simply to have a better understanding of "pre-logical or mythic consciousness"? Or does he want us to somehow re-enter into that consciousness for ourselves?

      Drawing on David Bratman's comment about art, it seems like art is a way that we modern folks can still participate in that mythic consciousness somehow and (as Alana says) give the world back its *meaning*. Would Barfield agree with this? Is this something we can really achieve? Are their other ways besides art that we can achieve it?

      Thoughts?
      ~randy
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic